Sunday, October 7, 2007

G.L. Horton's Stage Blog

As I said earlier, I did a lot of theater in high school, and I really love reading plays. So I chose to read G.L. Horton's blog. Horton is an actress, playwright, and critic. She writes about plays she sees and has written, but she puts a lot of her personality into her writing and writes about her personal experiences as well. Most of the perspective I have gotten on theater has come from my high school directors, and I think it's interesting to read someone else's ideas. Her opinions differ from mine a little bit. She talks in her most recent entry about not liking David Mamet. I'm kind of confused as to how anyone could not like Glengarry Glen Ross... I like that she mentions that she writes a lot of comedy. It seems like drama is perceived as high class while comedy is kind of the lower art, or something like that. But it takes just as much talent to write and perform comedy as it does drama, in my opinion at least. Comedy is overlooked so often, and it is just as worthwhile and interesting as drama. What I also really like about Horton's blog is reading what she has to say about a play from her position as a playwright. Her reviews are so insightful, and you can just tell she has had so much experience in the theater. The writing in her blog is just great, and I am definitely going to look into reading some of the things she has written.

1 comment:

caroline said...

I'm glad you found a blog that intersects with your interests. And, I agree! Comedy is an incredibly hard art to master (and David Mamet is wonderful).